Skip to main content
UNCG Logo
University Archives and History

Nursing education in Greensboro, N.C.

Nursing education programs and research materials

St. Leo’s Catholic Hospital
Since the early 1900s, doctors in the area, other groups, and the Catholic Church had been pushing for the establishment of a hospital in Greensboro. St. Leo’s Catholic Hospital, located on Summit Avenue, opened on April 8, 1906. As Greensboro’s first modern hospital and nursing school, it served the community for half a century. St. Leo’s officially closed its doors in 1955. According to a report by the Sisters of Charity Mother House, 594 nurses were trained at and graduated from St. Leo’s program.

L. Richardson Memorial Hospital and L. Richardson Nursing School
L. Richardson Nursing School was established in 1929 and graduated its first class of five nurses in October 1930. In 1932, the hospital was one of only three African American hospitals in the entire United States to be accorded a grade A by the American College of Surgeons. By the time of the school’s closing in 1954, 152 nurses had graduated from the program, and five of the six African American doctors that had practiced in Greensboro had had their internship and residency at the hospital.

Wesley Long Hospital
Wesley Long’s School of Nursing was established in 1917 in correlation with the opening of the Wesley Long Hospital. The school was affiliated with the North Carolina College of Women. The nursing program offered students a three-year course in practical nursing leading to a diploma in nursing. Over the lifetime of the program, from 1917 to 1932, 65 nursing students graduated from the program.

Moses Cone Memorial Hospital
In February 1957, Woman’s College established the Department of Nursing Education to administer a two-year associate degree program. This program was a collaboration between the newly-built Moses Cone Hospital and Woman’s College. It was the first associate degree in nursing education program in North Carolina and one of the first in the United States. 194 Associate Degrees in Nursing were awarded from 1959 through 1967.

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
In September 1966, School of Nursing at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro opened with Dr. Eloise Lewis as the first Dean. In 1967, the School of Nursing became the eighth baccalaureate program in nursing in the state. In 1970, the School received full accreditation from the National League for Nursing. In 1971, the first male student was admitted to the program. Masters of Science in Nursing degree program was established in 1976. In 2005, the School of Nursing created a Ph.D. program in Nursing.

Greensboro School of Practical Nursing
In 1958, the Vocational Department of the Greensboro Public Schools and Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital established the Greensboro School of Practical Nursing, a one-year nursing program. Upon completion of the program, graduates, were eligible to take the State Board Examination for practical nurses and become eligible to be licensed practicing nurses in North Carolina. This program was later transferred to Guilford Technical Institute at Jamestown.


 

Additional materials for research

Nursing affiliations

Influential figures in nursing education in and around Greensboro, North Carolina

 

Works cited

Layton, Catherine P. A History of St. Leo's Hospital. Greensboro, NC, 1991.

 

Phillips, Robert L. History of the Hospitals in Greensboro, North Carolina: Including Sanitariums, Infirmaries and Institutes. Greensboro, NC: The Printworks, 1996.

 

Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. St. Leo's Hospital. Greensboro, NC, 1951.

 

Logos

 

Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK